The movie “Karate Kid” was released in 1984. I would be lying if I were to say that I have never dreamed of a foe holding my left foot only to have me pivot and throw my right foot across his non-expectant face (via a Bruce Lee roundhouse). Unless my legs get longer and my flexibility improves, that will forever remain a pipe dream. One of the most famous quotes in that movie came in the form of a question. After dominating Chozen in a big fight, Daniel-san asks, “Live or die, man?” He then honks the nose of his enemy, fills Mr. Miyagi with pride, and gets the gal.
My memory (Again involving Dusty Willis):
I believe it was summertime. The weather was nice and my parent’s pop-up camp trailer was in the drive-way, hooked up to the truck, and ready for camping. Dusty and I were in his front yard with another neighborhood kid named Tony. I don’t know what led up to the Karate Kid moment, but I would imagine that Dusty and Tony got into an argument concerning legos or who’s dad is stronger, but Dusty was determined to finish it. He went inside and calmly walked out wielding a butcher’s knife. I likely thought that it was to be used as a tool to kill grasshoppers so I wasn’t worried. Unfortunately, Dusty had other plans. He walked toward Tony and said…”Live or die, man?!” Of course he said that! Perfect moment that would land you in jail these days…Probably back then too, but we were only like 5 or 6.
Anyway, Tony bolted up the street. Dusty had won the fight…Tony won the war. A few minutes later we were still sitting in his front yard (probably killing grasshoppers with the knife) when Tony’s siblings came trudging around the corner with angry eyes. We bolted across the street to the safety of my front yard and hid in my parent’s camper. The camper was down, so we had about 2 feet of space to fit 2 little boys in. We hid, assuming that they hadn’t seen us in our hasty escape. Of course they had seen us; I live about 20 feet from Dusty. Our camp-trailer reflection period had lasted about 20 seconds when the door flew open, and the Tony clan pulled Dusty out by his little white leg and gave him a good ole fashioned beating. Moral of the story…Don’t movie quote threaten people while holding a knife. End of memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment